Friday, April 3, 2020

Interview with "You're Bacon Me Crazy" Costume Designer, Emily Gray

I am delighted to share with you all today my interview with Costume Designer Emily Gray, who has styled many Hallmark movies, including You're Bacon Me Crazy, Picture a Perfect Christmas, All of My Heart: The Wedding, Destination Wedding, Looks Like Christmas, Hailey Dean Mystery: Murder, with Love and so many more Emily will share with you below!

Photo Credit: Emily Gray's Instagram

Photo Credit: Emily Gray's Instagram


Emily Gray has a great passion for fashion and working with others; she is so talented & creative! Through all of our chats and this interview, I can see how precise, hard working and kind she is. She will do whatever it takes to make the shoot successful. Emily has a wonderful sense of style and knows how to pick out just the right wardrobe for these movies, so that it builds the characters alongside the script! Always wanting to keep up on the latest trends, Emily works with her clients to meet their needs as well. Her work and design shines through in what ever project she is given.


Photo Credit: Emily Gray's Instagram

It was a thrill to have this opportunity to ask Emily some questions about her work as a Fashion Stylist! She is so friendly, thorough, and a delight to work with.

Please see her interview (below) with me- all about Fashion from Hallmark's Latest Spring Fling Movie, "You're Bacon Me Crazy" and more!



Nea, It's a Wonderful LifeStyle:

1. First of all, please share with us some of the most well-known Hallmark movies - where your costume designs appeared?

Emily Gray:

Most recently over the past year, I’ve Costume Designed Picture A Perfect Christmas, Love Under the Olive Tree, and Matching Hearts, along with the Spring Fling addition, You’re Bacon Me Crazy, starring Natalie Hall and Michael Rady. Not sure Love Under the Olive Tree has aired yet, I think it was delayed until this year because of timing for American Thanksgiving. There’s many more I have designed, but those are just some of this past year.



Nea, It's a Wonderful LifeStyle:

2. In general, how much time are you usually given to create a style for a character or cast?

Emily Gray:

In a perfect world, 3-4 weeks of prep for a show of this size. Prep for Movies of The Week as we call them, or MOW’s for short in film terms, usually depends on the size of the show and its budget. 3 weeks is ideal, but I have had to prep and execute in 2 weeks and on the very rare occasion even less than that.

My job really can only begin past a certain point once all the script revisions have been made so I can create a proper script breakdown of all the characters and the amount of wardrobe changes they will require throughout the show. Until the script is locked, and the Assistant Directors and Director and Network Executives have done their job with revisions, I can’t fully do mine. In the meantime, while I wait for many of those final edits, my team and I will start to create our inspiration boards and colour palettes for each specific character.

I also can only do a proper budget for each character based on the amount of changes once that final script is “locked” as we say. I usually allot my highest budget when possible to my 2 lead actors unless their character is not necessarily supposed to “look” overly fashionable, or not come from a plot/character point of having too much success, so this is also something we plan in our prep as well based on the script.

Once the script is locked to a place where we all feel it is ready, character mood boards and colour palettes are complete etc. Then we move on to planning uniforms or ordering specific novelty items. Again, we are at a bit of a standstill, so those are the things we try to do in advance while we wait until casting sessions are complete and the final Actors have “signed” their deals. I am not legally able to contact any talent until these “deals” are done. So, sometimes my team and our department is halted until we get this info, as the bulk of our job and priorities during this prep period is to shop for the clothes! We literally have the job of dressing actors, though there is a lot more that goes into the pre-shopping of a character, this is the main part. We have to wait until casting does their job, and the agents do theirs, and ultimately the actors do their part of signing! So, it’s a lot of politics as well. I often only end up with maybe 3-5 days, sometimes even 1-2 days to shop my lead actors if you can believe it! Most people would find this shocking, but we always manage to deliver because we take the time we have in the early days of prep to plan smart and execute an efficient plan for scenarios like this that can often arise. So when it’s “GO time” we hit the ground running and “Power Shop” as we like to say.

I am grateful for a very loyal, dedicated, strong, and savvy team of buyers and assistant designer who are highly task oriented and stylish. I ensure to visually and verbally present my vision of each character that they take on to buy for and build around my creative direction and original mood boards. Once the actual actor who will play that character is cast, we can make any necessary adjustments to the original styling planned or colour palette in case someone is of a different body type that may not suit our original styling ideal, or they have different colouring and another palette might suit them better to make them shine on camera. Once all those details are hammered out, they can then be assigned their budget per look to shop, and I do give them the freedom to also style the characters through their own creative eye, within my style parameters. I like my team to have some input and there is always an open-door policy to styling ideas I may not have thought of as there are a lot of moving parts at once in this job! We are always open to feedback on how to make the characters per show look and feel most like their character!



Nea, It's a Wonderful LifeStyle:

3. Since you have styled for many Hallmark Movies, do you have any personal favorites you would like to share?

Emily Gray:

One of the most recent Hallmark MOW’s aside from YBMC, was a lovely little Rom Com starring Taylor Cole and Ryan Peavy that aired for Valentine’s Day on the Hallmark Channel called “Matching Hearts”. I had the pleasure of working with and becoming great friends with both Taylor and Ryan and we really built the characters together to a point where our style team felt like the characters were on point in the fashion of the times, and they both felt like the characters really filled the role as portrayed in the script. It is important to me that the actors feel their character through their wardrobe and it is also how they originally saw them playing out through their clothing on camera. I also had the pleasure of working with a dynamic team of female department heads including my favorite Executive Producer, Anne Carlucci and our amazing Director Siobhan Devine. So overall that one was a joy and who doesn’t love a good ol’ Cheesy Rom-Com for the most loveable “non-holiday” of the year, Valentine’s Day.



Nea, It's a Wonderful LifeStyle:

4. In You’re Bacon Me Crazy, what kind of style did you give Natalie Hall’s character, Cleo and Michael Rady’s character, Gabe?

Emily Gray:

I would say for Natalie, we really wanted ‘Cleo’ to be the epitome of the girl-next-door, a loyal local to her home town of Portland, and an effortless-beauty. We never wanted ‘Cleo’ to appear to be “trying too hard”, but always looking cute and put-together. It’s a fun addition to the Spring Fling line up this year on the hallmark channel, based on the quirky book by the same name from author Suzanne Nelson and then adapted by Christopher Sey (written for the screen by), so we also really wanted her color palette to pop and compliment her natural beauty. Natalie Hall is in and of herself one of the kindest, most down to earth actresses I have had the pleasure to work with, so it was not a far departure and building this character with her was a breath of fresh air. We instantly connected over the ease we wanted her character ‘Cleo’ to convey and I think between the both of us, we chose some of those favorite looks to help portray this overall relaxed vibe of a young female looking for success through her passion.

With Michael’s character ‘Gabe’ we were going for the more rugged, well-travelled, rustic look for him. We wanted ‘Gabe’ to be attractive but also not trying to be someone that he is not. He had been traveling around for quite some time in his Truck, so it had to be believable that the clothes on his back here what he could fit in a large duffle bag throughout his adventures across country. Keep in mind however, this is still made for TV, so he did have a wide range of wardrobe options to suit the story line, and his amount of changes per the script days. We wanted the viewers to perceive that also as he got more comfortable being back in his home town, the idea of potentially settling down there again and hopefully with ‘Cleo’ he also may have upped his style anti and gone shopping to impress her (we clearly don’t see this as a scene in the movie, but it is implied.)



Nea, It's a Wonderful LifeStyle:

5. I know you have worked on Hallmark Rom-Coms & Mysteries. How do your fashion styles vary from a mystery movie to a Spring Fling Movie, and which one do you like doing the most?

Emily Gray:

Fashion choices and styles definitely vary depending on whether I am designing a Rom-Com, a Mystery or even a Christmas MOW. These are all very different and distinct genres, especially on the Hallmark Channel. The network has worked tirelessly over the years to develop niche genres and even customized channels dedicated to their Mysteries and their long-standing franchises that fit within their parameters for which I have had the pleasure of designing many. That being said, my team and I always strive to inspire and classify a theme no matter what the genre. The Hallmark brand is still and forever will be all about uplifting their viewers, even if it is a Mystery, we definitely want to make the wardrobe choices more appropriate and probably a little moodier in those roles, while also allowing the leading talent in the show to shine. Not to give away and insider secrets, but generally the “Persons of Interest” in a mystery series or show may be categorized by darker or more neutral colour palettes. Unless we are really trying to fool the viewers ;)

Rom-Com’s or Christmas Movies on the other hand tend to be a bit more whimsical and fun when it comes to colour and setting a theme and tone. We like to play with more colour here for sure, as well as sometimes going over the top in terms of nods to Christmas patterns and colours traditionally known for their nostalgia, and I mean why not! We all love a little dose of Christmas in July and especially the infamous Hallmark “Countdown to Christmas” to liven all of our spirits just in time for the holidays! People, especially in times of crisis like we are currently facing crave an escape, or a pleasant, mindless distraction and also want it to be something the whole family can sit down at the same time and watch. So we keep that “family friendly” aspect in mind when appropriately and as conservatively as we can when styling any of these shows or series.



Nea, It's a Wonderful LifeStyle:

6. How much input do the actors or actresses usually have on their own fashions?

Emily Gray:

The actors definitely have a say in their own fashions, if they would like to contribute, but it definitely is dependent on a few factors, but yes, of course and I actually am very open to it myself. That being said it is up to them. Some actors prefer to have their say and others like to “leave it to the experts” but do want to know and see our vision generally just to make sure we are on the same page. I would say it’s 50/50 that way. In making any successful film this bit of collaboration is essential, even if it is minor. It generates trust. First and foremost, I would never want any client or talent to feel uncomfortable in anything I want to style them in for their role, especially when it comes time for the fitting. Knowing in advance their input saves a lot of time and energy. if you don’t ask for their feedback in advance and heaven forbid they end up not understanding or liking your vision for the character that could end up causing lots of headache and time lost that we have so little of already. The talent could see an entirely different direction for their character-building process, then you have done so much work already to potentially have to start over. Wasting time is never an option. So, it is just part of my protocol and the first thing I tell them on the inaugural phone call introduction that I want them to know I am here to work with them. Then when we meet in person and are about to start trying on clothing I further communicate to them if at any time they are not comfortable in something, don’t feel like it is the character, or not loving the colour or fit, etc. let’s just say no and move on to the next awesome outfit! When a client or actor loves the outfits as much as I do, we all win. They are the ones wearing it for often long periods of time, whether it’s a short scene or a long one, they need to “feel” that look and in turn their character. Clothing plays a big role in that, even if to some fashion is trivial. It is generally a huge part of a character point. As soon as we have confirmed actors signed to my lead characters (Top 2 generally) I will reach out to them to have a chat about the concept of the script, what the director and I have come up and agreed upon for mood boards and character development and also want to know what brands and colors they love, alternately what brands or colours they dislike, etc. The more info and feedback they can give me about what they see for the character as well helps myself and my team spend more constructive time building this character to deliver at our fitting. Makes the fittings go smoother, sizing and fit more comfortable, and sets the tone for the relationship you are building with your talent throughout the course of filming. I always let them know I am open to suggestions as they come up in their mind, I may not always agree and there is definitely compromise, but I do my best to assure them that I hear their ideas and feedback and ultimately what works best for the character and the script based on those compromises.



Nea, It's a Wonderful LifeStyle:

7. What is your inspiration behind all your designs so each character is unique?

Emily Gray:

My design and styling inspiration behind making each character unique really truly depends on each individual script, character, director, executive and actor feedback. Making a film has many moving parts and many opinions to consider, not just my own. It’s a whole lot of compromise to find the best inspirations to bring it all to life. I try to push the limits where I can in terms of trends, but also stay somewhat reserved because at the same time we want to remain classic and relatable. Hallmark definitely is a bit more of a conservative trademark, and so of course I do everything in my power to respect and work within those parameters, but also show how fun certain characters can be without going overboard. I would say I draw inspiration from a lot of fashion history and design elements I have seen throughout my years in the fashion industry; whether that be other films or characters that have set the tone for a cult classic theme or trend, or if it is a character I want to be distinctly different that no one has seen before, or a homeless type character, someone I am inspired by from my home town when I was young, etc. I love mixing colours, prints and patterns for fun and quirky characters and generally just trying to be different and inspired by daily life. There are almost too many things to list! It is fun. I am a very lucky woman to have known that I wanted to work within this type of fashion and entertainment industry as a Fashion Stylist and Designer from a young age and am very grateful for all the Hallmark films, and many other projects I have worked on over the past 18 years of my career.



Nea, It's a Wonderful LifeStyle:

8. What is your favorite season to style fashion for in the movies?

Emily Gray:

Definitely Spring and Summer. I also love to dress the teen bracket because we tend to get away with a bit more in terms of trends and colours! That demographic loves to see those things, because they want to watch things and engage with what they can relate to or inspire them to be.



Nea, It's a Wonderful LifeStyle:

9. The title of this movie, You’re Bacon Me Crazy, is so cute, so I must ask, do you have a favorite food or recipe that includes bacon?

Emily Gray:

I actually do not eat a lot of bacon anymore, but don’t get me wrong, I LOVE ME SOME BACON. I just have made a conscious choice to cut out a lot of foods that are detrimental to the wellbeing of animals. I am not Vegan or Vegetarian, but I am food conscious especially when it comes to the treatment of animals in the food industry. If I am going to eat bacon, it will be fresh from a butcher that ethically sources their meat and poultry and ensures best handling and treatment practices of those animals pre and post life.



Nea, It's a Wonderful LifeStyle:

10. May I ask, do you know if you will you be styling for any new Hallmark movies coming up this year, despite the delay on productions right now? If so, can you share any details with my readers?

Emily Gray:

I was set to start a new MOW a couple week ago right as all of this came down. So yes, stay tuned! As soon as we can all safely get back to work there are lots on the roster coming up. You can expect to see at least 1 Christmas movie and 1 Wedding themed show coming out of our styling office this year! So far! Can’t wait to get back at it! Sending all my well wishes to those affected by this virus, near and far, in the film industry, front line healthcare workers, and all essential personnel. We are all in this together. That is why Hallmark is the best thing for all of us right now, and so glad they have some new flicks ready to launch during the Spring Fling season, will ensure we all Stay Home and stay safe!



Nea, It's a Wonderful LifeStyle:

11. Do you read the scripts before choosing the character’s outfits or are you given a general overview?

Emily Gray:

I always read the script before signing on to a new project. There have been exceptions to this in the past if I have worked with an actor, director or producer and they want me on board, I will often make a verbal deal and I usually know that having worked with them before it will be something in line with all of our similar interests. Fun fact, I actually read a script over 10 times throughout the course of prep, as there are constant script revisions to catch up on and script breakdown for outfit changes is a big part of mine and my assistant designers’ job.



Nea, It's a Wonderful LifeStyle:

12. Were you on-set while filming “You’re Bacon Me Crazy?” If so, do you have any behind-the-scenes stories to tell?

Emily Gray:

Yes! I am what many people call one of the few “present” Costume Designers you will see on set. I try to make an appearance on set at least for 2-3 hours every day of filming when there are new character outfits being established on film that day. Occasionally I won’t go if all the looks shooting in a single day have already been filmed in previous scenes, if there are more pressing tasks at hand to be done, for example if I have another actor fitting scheduled that day, or other characters still need to be shopped, etc. I have a very loyal, experienced and trustworthy set team as well who have all worked for me for years. I value their decision making and always want them to feel like they are able to make executive decisions in the face of an on-set change to the “planned day” if I am ever not there. I set them up for success during prep with my buying team so that they have all the tools they need during production if I may not be there. Of course, I am always within reach and they call or text me with any questions, but generally they also know how I like things styled for continuity and are all very “with it” in terms of their experience on set, their set etiquette with the talent and other crew members, as well as their love for their jobs. They know their work reflects all of us and we all strive to create the most inspiring content for the viewers. So huge shout out to my team! I love them all for their individual strengths and working so well together!

So one final funny fact, Michael is VEGAN! So, there was actually no real bacon on the set of filming this movie! We used Vegan bacon. I hope that’s not a spoiler ;)

Thanks so much for all your awesome questions and I hope you enjoy our little movie You’re Bacon Me Crazy, airing this Saturday, April 4 at 9 pm/8c as part of the Hallmark Channel’s Spring Fling lineup! Until next time!

Yours in style ;)


Emily Gray


Photo Credit: Emily Gray's Instagram

Photo Credit: Emily Gray's Instagram


Thank you so much, Emily, for sharing your experience of being a costume designer here with us! I loved your answers! Wow, it seems like quite a challenge to dress a cast, but fun at the same time. I know many will appreciate what it takes to style the characters and where to get the latest fashions they are wearing in the movie, "You're Bacon Me Crazy." This was such a treat!


Photo Credit: Emily Gray's Instagram


To all my followers here... I'm so grateful for you taking the time to read my interview with Emily. Be sure and watch for the fashion seen in "You're Bacon Me Crazy," Saturday April 4th on the Hallmark Channel. Check out my post for some of the fashion *HERE*.

Credit: ©2020 Crown Media United States LLC/Photographer: Hugh Tull


~Blessings for the Day to Encourage your Life~

This art print is available to order *Here*. It is a beautiful watercolor to remind us and encourage us to know where our strength and power lies... it is in our Lord & Savior Jesus Christ!

God has not given of a spirit of fear but peace. During these unsettled times, it gives me great comfort to read God’s Word and trust and lean on HIM each day. Please take comfort in this scripture and say it to yourself each day! HE will take all our thoughts captive(2 Corinthians 10:5) and give us His perfect peace(John 14:27)-just ask!

Take Care, Be Safe, & God Bless,




Follow My Blog by Email to Receive Updates!
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

2 comments:

  1. I loved the red blouse worn by the librarian in Snowcoming. Where can I get one like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do recall the top that actress Lynda Boyd and re-watched that scene again to see the details of it. Since the movie is from 2019 I could not find the exact top, but I did find 2 similar styles you might want to check out. Here are the 2 links below. I hope this helps and thank you for visiting my blog. God Bless!

      Macy's Top - Click Here

      Amazon Top - Click Here



      Delete

Please comment and share your thoughts